A leaked US intelligence assessment reported by Axios on Sunday claims the Cuban government is plotting attacks against American targets, including Guantanamo Bay naval base, US ships, and possibly Key West, Florida.
The assessment says Cuban officials have amassed more than 300 drones and have discussed using them to attack those sites. The intelligence report did not provide specific details about how recent the information is or what specific timelines, if any, exist for potential operations. This has not been independently verified by other news organizations.
What the Left Is Saying
Progressive critics of the administration are questioning whether the leaked intelligence serves as a justification for military action rather than a genuine assessment of threat levels. Some Democratic lawmakers have called for diplomatic channels to remain open and warned against escalating tensions with Havana without exhausting all peaceful options first.
"Before we march toward any confrontation, we need to verify these claims independently," said Senator Elizabeth Warren in a statement. "We cannot allow unverified intelligence leaks to drive us into another conflict."
Human rights groups note that increased US sanctions have historically pushed Cuba closer to Russia and Iran, and argue that changing course on the embargo might reduce incentives for such alignments. Others point to the decades of adversarial relations between Washington and Havana as a reminder that both sides have long histories of viewing each other with suspicion.
"Cuba's actions here are concerning, but we should also examine whether our own policies over 60 years have contributed to pushing them into the arms of US adversaries," said Sarah Margon, director of foreign policy at the Center for American Progress. "That's not excusing anything — it's just strategic reality."
What the Right Is Saying
Republican lawmakers and national security hawks say any credible intelligence suggesting Cuba is preparing attacks on American soil must be taken with the utmost seriousness regardless of historical context.
"If this intelligence is accurate, we are looking at an existential threat to Americans on our own territory," said Senator Tom Cotton. "The administration should be prepared to respond decisively."
Conservative commentators have pointed to Cuba's reported deployment of approximately 5,000 soldiers to fight alongside Russia in Ukraine as evidence that Havana has fundamentally aligned itself with adversaries of the United States. The $25,000 per soldier payment reportedly made by Moscow to Cuba for these fighters has raised additional concerns about foreign influence operations.
"This isn't your grandfather's Cold War posturing — this is a sitting communist regime actively preparing weapons systems to strike American targets," said former National Security Advisor John Bolton in an appearance on conservative media. "We cannot treat this as routine."
What the Numbers Show
The intelligence assessment, reported by Axios and cited by Daily Wire, includes several specific figures worth noting.
Cuba has reportedly amasses more than 300 drones, with officials telling Axios that many have been sourced from Russia and Iran over several years, with an increased number arriving from Russia in recent weeks.
An estimated 5,000 Cuban soldiers are reported to be fighting alongside Russian forces in Ukraine. Russia has reportedly paid Cuba $25,000 per soldier for these deployments — a figure that amounts to roughly $125 million total if accurate.
US officials told Axios they intercepted communications indicating Cubans are attempting to study and learn from Iranian tactics in their ongoing tensions with the United States.
The CIA Director traveled to Cuba last week to deliver warnings against attacking US interests, according to reporting on the situation. Separately, the Justice Department was reported to be preparing an indictment against Cuban leader Raúl Castro related to the 1996 shootdown of two humanitarian planes departing from Miami — a legal approach that mirrors tactics used in cases involving Venezuelan officials.
The Bottom Line
The leaked intelligence assessment presents serious allegations about Cuban intentions toward American targets. Whether these claims warrant escalated military readiness or diplomatic intervention depends heavily on verification by additional US intelligence agencies and independent confirmation.
What happens next will likely involve congressional briefings, increased military posture around Guantanamo Bay and southern Florida, and continued diplomatic pressure through the reported CIA engagement in Havana. The planned DOJ indictment against Raúl Castro, if unsealed, would represent a significant escalation in US legal actions against Cuban leadership.
The situation remains fluid, and the intelligence community has not publicly confirmed the specifics of the Axios report. Experts advise caution until additional verification is available, while acknowledging that any credible threat to American territory — verified or not — demands serious attention from defense planners.