An ICE officer has been charged with multiple felonies after Hennepin County prosecutors allege he shot a Venezuelan migrant without justification and provided false testimony about the incident. Christian Castro, an Immigration and Customs Enforcement officer, faces four counts of second-degree assault and one count of falsely reporting a crime in connection with a January shooting in Minneapolis.
According to Hennepin County Attorney Mary Moriarty, Castro fired his service weapon at the front door of a home "with the intent to cause fear of immediate bodily harm or death to the four adults who were just inside the door." The bullet struck Jose Sosa-Celis in the leg before traveling through a closet and lodging in the wall of a child's bedroom. Moriarty stated that Castro "was not under any physical threat when he fired his weapon, or even beforehand" and was not hit by any object.
The Department of Homeland Security initially provided a different account of the incident. DHS claimed Sosa-Celis attempted to evade arrest before "began to resist and violently assault" an officer, and that two other individuals attacked with a snow shovel and broom handle. According to the original DHS statement, the officer fired a "defensive shot" after "fearing for his life and safety."
Acting ICE Director Todd Lyons announced in February that video footage showed "sworn testimony provided by two separate officers appears to have made untruthful statements." Both officers were placed on administrative leave. "Lying under oath is a serious federal offense," Lyons said at the time.
What the Left Is Saying
Progressive advocates and Democratic officials have called for accountability following the charges. Hennepin County Attorney Mary Moriarty emphasized that the evidence did not support the officer's account. "Mr. Castro fired his service weapon at the front door of the home, knowing there were people who had just run inside that presented absolutely no threat to him or anyone else," she said during a Monday news conference.
Immigration rights groups have long raised concerns about ICE enforcement tactics in sanctuary cities. The charges come amid heightened scrutiny of federal immigration operations following two fatal shootings of migrants by ICE officers in the Minneapolis area last year, including Alex Pretti and Renee Good.
A federal judge dismissed charges against Sosa-Celis and two other migrants in February after the U.S. Attorney for the District of Minnesota filed a motion citing "newly discovered evidence" that was "materially inconsistent with the allegations." Democratic critics have pointed to this dismissal as evidence that initial ICE accounts were fabricated to justify the shooting.
What the Right Is Saying
Conservative voices have defended law enforcement while acknowledging the seriousness of the charges. Acting ICE Director Todd Lyons stated that violations of sworn oaths would not be tolerated, emphasizing that "the men and women of ICE are entrusted with upholding the rule of law and are held to the highest standards of professionalism, integrity, and ethical conduct."
ICE officers operate in challenging environments during immigration enforcement operations. Supporters note that federal agents often make split-second decisions in volatile situations. Some Republican lawmakers have expressed concern about political motivations behind local prosecution, arguing that county attorneys in Democratic-leaning jurisdictions may be predisposed to pursue charges against federal law enforcement.
The Trump administration has sought to project support for ICE following the incident. After the initial shootings last year, President Donald Trump sent border czar Tom Homan to broker agreements between ICE and local authorities and subsequently fired Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem in the wake of the fatal incidents.
What the Numbers Show
Castro faces five total charges: four counts of second-degree assault and one count of falsely reporting a crime. Second-degree assault carries a maximum penalty of seven years imprisonment per count under Minnesota law, meaning he could face up to 28 years if convicted on all assault counts.
The shooting occurred in January. The charges were announced approximately three weeks after Acting ICE Director Lyons announced the federal investigation in February and roughly one month after federal prosecutors dismissed charges against the migrants.
A separate arrest warrant was issued a month earlier for another ICE officer accused of flashing a gun at motorists on a Minnesota highway, according to Moriarty's office.
The Bottom Line
The case represents an unusual instance of local prosecution of a federal immigration officer. A preliminary investigation by ICE's Office of Professional Responsibility found video evidence contradicted the official account, leading to the criminal referral to county prosecutors.
The charges will likely intensify debates over ICE accountability and use-of-force standards in sanctuary jurisdictions. Federal authorities have not indicated whether they will pursue separate charges against Castro.
What happens next: The case moves to Hennepin County District Court, where Castro must answer to the charges. Separately, the federal investigation remains ongoing. Readers should note that charges are accusations, and the officer is presumed innocent until proven guilty.