Skip to main content
Wednesday, May 20, 2026 AI-Powered Newsroom — All facts, no faction
PB

Political Bytes

Where the left meets the right in an unbiased dialogue
Policy & Law

Pentagon's Internal Watchdog Opens Probe Into U.S. Strikes on Alleged Drug Boats

The investigation will examine intelligence, targeting processes, and military doctrine behind Operation Southern Spear, which has destroyed 59 vessels and killed 193 people since last fall.

⚡ The Bottom Line

The inspector general's investigation marks a formal review into whether Operation Southern Spear's targeting processes, intelligence gathering, and legal justifications meet Defense Department standards. The probe comes as some Republican lawmakers have joined Democrats in calling for more transparency about the operation's legal basis. The investigation will examine six phases of the targetin...

Read full analysis ↓

The Defense Department's inspector general has opened an investigation into U.S. Southern Command's targeting of alleged drug-smuggling boats in the military's campaign against drug cartels, a probe that comes as some critics have argued the operations are illegal.

Operation Southern Spear, as the Pentagon calls the campaign, has targeted nearly 60 small boats the military says were transporting drugs through the Caribbean Sea and the Pacific Ocean. The operation has destroyed 59 vessels and killed 193 people since it began last fall, according to Pentagon data. Three strikes have been conducted so far in May, killing seven people.

The inspector general's investigation will examine the intelligence and targeting processes Southern Command used for the strikes, as well as other aspects of the operations against drug cartels, according to a letter from the Pentagon's Office of Inspector General dated May 11. The probe will review the military doctrine that governs how commanders target drug runners in small boats near Venezuela.

The investigation was self-initiated based on the inspector general's ongoing assessment of programs and operations, according to a statement from the watchdog's office. It was not clear how long the probe would take. The evaluation will include investigations inside the Pentagon and at Southern Command headquarters in Miami.

What the Left Is Saying

Progressive lawmakers and civil liberties advocates have raised concerns about the legality of the strikes and the lack of congressional oversight. Several Democratic members of Congress have called for briefings on the operation, arguing that unilateral military action against boats in international waters raises serious questions under both domestic and international law.

Rep. Joaquin Castro, a Texas Democrat who has pushed for more information about the program, said the operations require proper legal justification. "The American people deserve to know what legal authority exists for these strikes," he said previously. The strikes have also drawn concern from human rights organizations that monitor potential violations of the law of armed conflict.

Critics point to an incident in which U.S. forces targeted a boat with survivors, then returned with another strike that killed those people, a scenario legal experts describe as potentially problematic under international humanitarian law standards governing the treatment of combatants who have surrendered or are no longer actively engaged in hostilities.

What the Right Is Saying

Supporters of the operation argue it represents a legitimate use of military force against drug cartels that pose a national security threat to the United States. Republican lawmakers have largely backed the administration, saying the president's authority to combat drugs entering the country is well-established.

Sen. Joni Ernst of Iowa, a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, has defended the administration's approach. "Cartels are killing Americans with fentanyl and other drugs," she said in a recent statement. "Using every tool available to stop these threats is exactly what the president should be doing."

Administration officials have maintained that Operation Southern Spear operates within existing legal authorities and that the military is taking appropriate steps to identify legitimate targets. The Justice Department has provided legal opinions supporting the operation's basis under existing counterdrug statutes.

What the Numbers Show

Operation Southern Spear by the numbers, according to Pentagon data: 59 vessels destroyed, 193 people killed since last fall, three strikes in May resulting in seven deaths. The campaign operates primarily in the Caribbean Sea and Eastern Pacific Ocean near Venezuela. Southern Command has conducted an average of roughly two targeted strikes per week during the operational period.

The senior military lawyer for the combatant command overseeing lethal strikes on alleged drug-smuggling boats disagreed with the Trump administration's legal position that the operations were lawful, according to reports from November. His views were reportedly sidelined after he raised objections through proper channels.

Southern Command's commander, Adm. Alvin Holsey, announced his resignation after only one year in the job, soon after the Pentagon began its counterdrug campaign. He was replaced by Marine Corps Gen. Frank Donovan. The timing of his departure has not been directly linked to the operations but drew attention given the program's controversial nature.

The Bottom Line

The inspector general's investigation marks a formal review into whether Operation Southern Spear's targeting processes, intelligence gathering, and legal justifications meet Defense Department standards. The probe comes as some Republican lawmakers have joined Democrats in calling for more transparency about the operation's legal basis.

The investigation will examine six phases of the targeting process: the commander's intent, development of each target, analysis and intelligence surrounding targets, decisions to strike, planning and execution, and post-strike assessment. How Southern Command documented these processes could determine whether the operations withstand scrutiny.

What happens next: The inspector general's report could recommend changes to how future strikes are authorized, require additional legal reviews before targeting decisions, or potentially find that existing procedures were adequate. Congressional committees are expected to request briefings once the investigation concludes. Watch for any interim findings that could affect ongoing strike operations.

📰 Full Coverage: This Story

  1. Pentagon Says Hegseth Attending Kentucky Campaign Event 'In Personal Capacity' Monday, May 18, 2026
  2. Pentagon's Internal Watchdog Opens Probe Into U.S. Strikes on Alleged Drug Boats Tuesday, May 19, 2026

Sources

  • NBC News
  • U.S. Department of Defense Office of Inspector General