Former Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan announced Thursday that he is ending his independent campaign for Michigan governor, citing unfavorable polling and fundraising numbers as the primary reasons for his withdrawal. The former Democratic mayor, who served four terms as Detroit's chief executive before launching an independent bid in 2024, said national political headwinds favoring Democrats had made his path to victory untenable.
"If we were even in the polls and behind in fundraising, we have a path to winning. If we were behind in the polls and even in fundraising, we have a path," Duggan wrote on his campaign website. "But we're behind in both. It's just not right to ask our volunteers, faith leaders, unions, elected officials and donors to continue in a campaign that, in my heart, I no longer feel good about our chances to win."
What the Right Is Saying
Republican Governors Association communications director Kollin Crompton used Duggan's departure to attack Benson and Democratic leadership more broadly. "Mike Duggan is right on one thing: Democrat leadership is not serving Michiganders," Crompton said. "Education is in decline, housing costs are rising, and young people are leaving in droves." He added that Benson "represents toxic partisan politics to its core."
Several Republicans remain vying for their party's nomination in the August 4 primary, including Rep. John James, former state Attorney General Mike Cox, state Sen. Aric Nesbitt, and businessman Perry Johnson. Duggan's independent candidacy had been viewed as a potential threat to both parties by potentially siphoning Detroit-area voters, with Michigan Democrats frequently criticizing him for not sufficiently attacking President Donald Trump.
What the Left Is Saying
Michigan Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson, who emerged as the leading Democratic candidate after effectively clearing her primary earlier this year, welcomed Duggan's supporters following the announcement. "Mayor Duggan's ideas, his supporters, and everyone who believes Michigan's future is bigger than division" would be embraced, Benson said in a statement.
Michigan Democratic Party Chair Curtis Hertel expressed gratitude for Duggan's service to Detroit while signaling openness to bringing his backers into the party's coalition. "While we've had disagreements, the Mayor brought crucial ideas to this race and we appreciate his commitment to bringing people together," Hertel said. "As we look ahead, we welcome Mayor Duggan's supporters into our growing coalition as we work to elect a Democratic governor this November who will continue to move Michigan forward."
Democratic Governors Association communications director Sam Newton cast the development as a setback for Republicans who had counted on a third-party candidacy to boost their chances. "Now, the Michigan GOP's entire crowded field of extremists has absolutely nowhere to hide from the high costs of groceries and gas, along with Donald Trump's health care cuts and chaos," Newton said in a statement.
What the Numbers Show
A Detroit Regional Chamber poll commissioned in April surveyed 600 likely general election voters and found Benson leading a hypothetical November matchup at 34%, followed by James at 29% and Duggan at 23%. The chamber, which had endorsed Duggan's candidacy, conducted polling that showed his support had fallen 11 points behind the Democratic leader.
Duggan acknowledged the poll results in his withdrawal announcement, writing that "the intense anger over gas prices and Iran was boosting Democrats in every office nationally" and that internal campaign polling aligned with the chamber's findings. The former mayor also lagged significantly behind Benson in national fundraising despite his name recognition from his decade as Detroit's chief executive.
Financially, a super PAC supporting Duggan called Put Progress First spent more than $9.8 million on advertising, while Duggan's official campaign committee had expended over $220,000 on ads so far this year, according to AdImpact data cited in the source material.
Democratic Gov. Gretchen Whitmer cannot seek re-election due to term limits, leaving an open race for the first time since 2018.
The Bottom Line
Duggan's decision removes a wildcard from Michigan's gubernatorial contest and consolidates what has become a clear two-party matchup heading into the August primary and November general election. His 18-month independent campaign was premised on voter frustration with partisan polarization, but polling showed him unable to break through with either major party's base.
The exit raises questions about whether super PAC spending translating to only 23% support in a three-way race signals limits for independent candidacies in statewide Michigan politics. Benson now faces the task of absorbing Duggan's coalition while Republicans navigate their crowded primary field. The general election contest will determine who succeeds Whitmer as governor when her term expires at the end of this year.