The Commission of Fine Arts voted Thursday to give final approval to President Trump's proposed arch between Arlington National Cemetery and the National Mall, clearing just one potential hurdle for a 250-foot structure in a traffic circle on the Virginia side of the Potomac River. The commission—all appointed by Trump at the start of his term—had granted preliminary approval in April and asked for more information, but ultimately approved a very similar design Thursday morning.
The vote came despite overwhelming public opposition: Commission Secretary Thomas Luebke said approximately 600 people had written in ahead of time, with "99.5% of them … in opposition" to the arch. Over two hours at D.C.'s National Building Museum, commissioners heard passionate objections from historic preservation groups and longtime residents, including some who have loved ones buried at Arlington.
What the Right Is Saying
Trump has pitched the arch as a commemoration of the nation's 250th anniversary. Speaking at the White House Thursday, he told reporters: "We're doing it. The land is owned by the secretary—by the Interior Department. We don't need anything from Congress." The administration argues in court filings that Congress authorized the arch when it approved design for 166-foot-tall columns at the same location in 1925—columns that were never built.
Lead architect Nicolas Charbonneau defended the design's scale, saying the gold statues on top fit with the monument's "character" as a tribute "not primarily to the dead, but the living, to this great country and its perseverance." He noted changes made since April: removing four gold lion sculptures at the base of the arch and shifting pedestrian access from an underground tunnel to surface-level walkways.
Vice Chair James McCrery II, who previously led Trump's ballroom project, pointed to photographic renderings arguing the arch must be larger than Paris' Arc de Triomphe to avoid obstructing views of the National Mall. "I would … respectfully suggest that you bring those objections to proper venues," he told critics. "This is the United States Commission of Fine Arts, and we're here to work with designs that are presented to us… to make them better, to make them more appropriate, to make them more beautiful."
What the Left Is Saying
Critics of the project argue that its celebratory tone is inappropriate for a monument steps from Arlington National Cemetery, where more than 400,000 service members are buried. "This continued desire to move things at a pace where the public doesn't have an opportunity to participate seems to be the MO of this administration and also the MO of this particular review board," said Rebecca Miller, executive director of the D.C. Preservation League.
A group of Vietnam War veterans and an architectural historian sued the administration earlier this year to block construction, arguing it is disrespectful to those buried nearby at the nation's largest military cemetery. Many speakers noted that the Lincoln Memorial and Arlington House—the Virginia monument to Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee—deliberately face each other as a symbol of Civil War-era fracturing and reconciliation, saying the proposed arch would obstruct both the sightline and its historical significance.
Regarding congressional authority, top Democrats submitted an amicus brief arguing Trump needs legislative approval. The Congressional Research Service reportedly commissioned a report reaching that same conclusion. "Using a 100-year-old loophole to avoid seeking Congressional approval is specious at best," said Susan Douglas, a local activist opposed to the arch.
What the Numbers Show
The proposed arch would stand 250 feet tall—roughly double the height of the Lincoln Memorial. It would feature 84-foot gilded statues of a winged Lady Liberty and eagles on top. The commission received approximately 600 written public comments ahead of Thursday's vote, with 99.5% in opposition. Only three letters submitted were in favor.
The administration cites an obscure 1925 congressional authorization for never-built 166-foot columns at the same site as legal justification to bypass new legislative approval. Congressional researchers reportedly dispute this interpretation.
The Bottom Line
Thursday's approval is just one step in a multi-agency process. The National Capital Planning Commission—also stacked with Trump appointees—is slated to discuss the structure June 4. Both commissions are advisory; actual construction permits would fall to local authorities, and the project requires approval from the National Park Service, which manages the federal land involved.
The administration contends no congressional authorization is needed, while opponents argue otherwise—a question likely headed for judicial resolution given existing litigation. What remains clear is that despite procedural victories with friendly panels, the arch faces continued legal challenges and political opposition as other agencies weigh in.