A federal judge on Friday dismissed the criminal case against Kilmar Abrego Garcia, ruling that he was subjected to vindictive prosecution. U.S. District Judge Waverly Crenshaw found that the government brought charges against Abrego Garcia only after he successfully challenged his removal to El Salvador in civil court.
The case has been a focal point in the Trump administration's intensified immigration enforcement efforts. Abrego Garcia, who entered the United States illegally nearly 15 years ago, was deported to a notorious megaprison in El Salvador in what the Justice Department described as an administrative error. He returned to the U.S. in June 2025 after the Supreme Court intervened in his Maryland civil lawsuit.
Crenshaw, an appointee of former President Obama who sits on the federal bench in Nashville, Tennessee, wrote that objective evidence showed the prosecution would not have occurred absent Abrego Garcia's successful legal challenge. "The Court does not reach its conclusion lightly," Crenshaw stated in the ruling.
What the Left Is Saying
Immigration advocates and Democratic lawmakers praised the ruling as a validation of Abrego Garcia's long-running legal battle. Groups including the American Immigration Lawyers Association argued that the case exposed how criminal charges can be weaponized against individuals who challenge deportation orders in civil proceedings.
Senator Dick Durbin, D-Ill., called the decision "a reminder that our justice system still works when prosecutors overreach." Several Democratic members of Congress have previously called for investigations into Abrego Garcia's initial removal, arguing it violated existing court protections against deporting individuals with pending asylum claims.
Civil rights organizations including the ACLU, which represented Abrego Garcia in his civil case, said the ruling underscores concerns about the administration's use of criminal charges as a supplement to civil immigration enforcement. "Prosecutorial discretion should never be used as punishment for exercising constitutional rights," the organization stated.
What the Right Is Saying
Administration officials maintain that Abrego Garcia's removal was consistent with efforts to address public safety concerns. The White House has pointed to intelligence assessments identifying him as an MS-13 gang affiliate, a claim he denies and which federal prosecutors did not pursue in the dismissed indictment.
Republican lawmakers argued the ruling creates problematic incentives by effectively rewarding someone who entered the country illegally with legal protections against subsequent enforcement actions. Senator John Cornyn, R-Texas, said the decision "sends a troubling signal that challenging deportation will shield individuals from accountability."
The Justice Department has not indicated whether it plans to appeal the decision or pursue the case through other means. A department spokesperson said officials were reviewing the ruling.
What the Numbers Show
Abrego Garcia faced two human smuggling charges stemming from a 2022 traffic stop in Tennessee, when he was pulled over for speeding and found transporting men without luggage. He pleaded not guilty to those charges before they were dismissed Friday.
The civil case in Maryland drew significant judicial attention, ultimately reaching the Supreme Court twice during its litigation. Abrego Garcia spent approximately three months in El Salvador before being returned to the United States under a negotiated arrangement that did not include an admission of wrongdoing by the government.
The Bottom Line
The dismissal marks the end of criminal proceedings against Abrego Garcia but does not resolve broader questions about federal deportation procedures or the use of criminal charges alongside civil removal efforts. The Justice Department has declined to comment on potential next steps, and legal observers are watching for whether prosecutors attempt to refile charges under a different legal theory.
Abrego Garcia remains in the United States while his underlying immigration proceedings continue through separate channels. Immigration courts have scheduled hearings on his status that could result in removal if officials pursue that outcome.