Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard announced her resignation Friday, telling President Donald Trump she is stepping away to support her husband through a battle with an extremely rare form of bone cancer.
Gabbard's letter of resignation, obtained by The Daily Wire, stated that her husband Abraham had recently been diagnosed with the condition. "He faces major challenges in the coming weeks and months," she wrote. "At this time, I must step away from public service to be by his side and fully support him through this battle."
In her letter, Gabbard said that under the Trump administration, the Office of Director of National Intelligence advanced "unprecedented transparency" and restored "integrity to the intelligence community." She committed to ensuring a smooth transition over the coming weeks.
President Trump reacted to the news on Truth Social, writing that Gabbard "will be leaving the Administration on June 30th" after having "done a great job." He described her husband as being diagnosed with "a rare form of bone cancer" and said he had "no doubt he will soon be better than ever." Trump added: "Tulsi has done an incredible job, and we will miss her."
Trump announced that Aaron Lukas, Gabbard's principal deputy director of national intelligence, would serve as acting director. Gabbard's last day is expected to be June 30.
What the Right Is Saying
Republican officials and conservative commentators largely praised Gabbard's service while expressing understanding for her decision to prioritize family. Supporters noted that she brought a non-traditional perspective to the intelligence post after decades in Congress.
The Trump administration highlighted Gabbard's stated accomplishments, including what she described as increased transparency at ODNI and restored integrity within the intelligence community during her tenure.
What the Left Is Saying
Some progressive critics noted Gabbard's relatively brief tenure in the role and questioned whether her background aligned with traditional Democratic expectations for intelligence leadership. Earlier in her career, Gabbard served as a Democratic congresswoman from Hawaii and was once mentioned as a potential cabinet nominee during prior administrations.
Gabbard drew criticism from some Democrats after she publicly flipped parties in 2024 to support Trump's re-election campaign. The move came years after she had sought the Democratic presidential nomination in 2020, at which point she had drawn progressive opposition over her foreign policy positions and past statements on Syria.
What the Numbers Show
Gabbard served as Director of National Intelligence for approximately five months. She was confirmed by the Senate in a 52-48 vote largely along party lines earlier this year. Aaron Lukas, who will assume the acting role, previously served as principal deputy director and has worked in national security roles across multiple administrations.
The Bottom Line
Gabbard's resignation marks another turnover in a cabinet that has seen significant reshuffling during Trump's second term. Her departure creates a vacancy at ODNI less than six months into her tenure, returning the intelligence community to acting leadership while the administration seeks a permanent replacement.
The transition comes as the intelligence community continues to navigate questions about its relationship with the White House under Trump. Lukas will serve in an acting capacity pending Senate confirmation of a successor.