The family of an 18-year-old tourist from India is seeking $105 million from New York City after alleging that stray electrical voltage caused a carriage horse to bolt and run, resulting in fatal head injuries to the teenager during a June 17 incident near Cherry Hill in Central Park.
Romanch Mahajan, visiting Manhattan with his family, was inside a horse-drawn carriage when the animal suddenly took off while the driver stopped to take their picture. His father, Deepak Mahajan, said Romanch's mother fell from the carriage as it sped through the park, and Romanch jumped from the moving vehicle in an attempt to help her.
The teenager struck his head on the pavement and was later pronounced dead at NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center. The family filed four notices of claim Friday naming the city, Con Edison and several municipal agencies including the departments of Parks and Recreation, Transportation, Health and Mental Hygiene, and Consumer and Worker Protection.
What the Left Is Saying
Progressive council members have thrown their support behind legislation to ban horse-drawn carriages following Mahajan's death. Council Member Christopher Marte introduced a bill June 11—six days before the accident—that would phase out horse-drawn cabs by June 1, 2028. The measure is now being renamed 'Romanch's Law' and has the backing of NYC Council Speaker Julie Menin.
"His death was heartbreaking, and it was preventable," Menin wrote in a statement supporting the renamed bill. "That tragedy is why I have decided to support Romanch's Law, legislation that would begin the transition away from horse-drawn carriages as a tourist attraction in Central Park — for the safety of New Yorkers, visitors from around the world, and the horses themselves."
At a July 17 City Council hearing, Deepak Mahajan wept as he addressed lawmakers. "If the city had passed the law last year, our son would still be alive today," he said. "The only measure that can prevent another death is a full and complete ban. Let his death not be in vain."
Family attorney Sagar Chadha of Liakas Law argued that years of warnings about safety hazards went unheeded. "This was an avoidable accident," Chadha stated. "The allegations set forth in the Notice of Claim describe a preventable tragedy that followed years of warnings, prior incidents and failures to implement basic safeguards."
What the Right Is Saying
Some observers have questioned whether electrical voltage can be definitively linked to the horse's behavior weeks after the incident. Con Edison acknowledged detecting low levels of stray voltage in the area on July 16 and July 23—more than a month after Mahajan's death.
Others have raised concerns about the economic impact of banning an industry that employs carriage drivers throughout Manhattan. A previous proposed ban introduced in 2024 would have prohibited horse-drawn cab operations beginning June 1, 2026, but was defeated by the City Council's Health Committee in November 2025, suggesting divided opinion among council members on the issue.
Defenders of the carriage industry have noted that horses can be startled by many factors including loud noises, sudden movements and unfamiliar surroundings. They argue that additional safety protocols—such as improved training or equipment requirements—might address concerns without eliminating the tourist attraction entirely.
What the Numbers Show
The four notices of claim filed against New York City total $105 million in potential damages. The filings allege that "stray voltage and/or contact voltage" in Central Park "caused, precipitated, contributed to and/or was a substantial factor" in causing the horse Sampson to bolt.
Con Edison confirmed detecting low levels of stray voltage on two dates in July following the June 17 incident. The utility has not commented on whether such voltage levels would be sufficient to affect an animal's behavior.
The failed 2024 bill that would have prohibited horse-drawn cabs starting June 1, 2026 was defeated by the City Council's Health Committee. Marte's replacement legislation introduced June 11 proposes a longer phase-out period ending June 1, 2028—giving carriage operators approximately two additional years before any ban would take effect.
The Bottom Line
The $105 million claim marks an early stage in potential litigation and does not indicate any finding of wrongdoing by the city or Con Edison. Four separate agencies were named in the filings: Parks and Recreation, Transportation, Health and Mental Hygiene, and Consumer and Worker Protection—reflecting the family's argument that multiple municipal departments bear responsibility for park safety.
"These allegations demand a complete and transparent investigation," Chadha said, adding that the family seeks to determine "whether dangerous electrical conditions existed in the very area where this horse suddenly became spooked and whether anyone knew or should have known about those conditions before Romanch was killed."
Romanch's Law remains in early legislative stages. Whether it advances will depend on continued Council support and potential negotiations over phase-out timelines that balance safety concerns with economic considerations for carriage operators.