Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian on Sunday defended a memorandum of understanding signed with the United States in mid-June, calling it the best path forward for Tehran to move beyond what he described as a state of "neither war nor peace." His remarks came as the new head of Iran's Supreme National Security Council, Mohsen Rezaei, took a harder line, warning neighbors that joining U.S. sanctions efforts would be met with retaliation.
The memorandum opened a 60-day window for negotiations aimed at ending the conflict and reaching an accord on Iran's nuclear program. That period expired last week without signs of compromise between Washington and Tehran, particularly regarding reopening the Strait of Hormuz—a waterway critical to global shipping that has seen reduced traffic during the ongoing tensions.
"There is not a single provision in this agreement that amounts to capitulation," Pezeshkian said in remarks published by state-run IRNA. "The supreme leader sets the policies, and we will follow that path." The president linked continued diplomatic engagement to Iran's economic recovery, noting that sanctions and a U.S. naval blockade have strained investment prospects during nearly six months of conflict.
What the Right Is Saying
Republican foreign policy hawks argue that Iran's history of nuclear non-compliance and support for proxy groups justifies maximum economic pressure. They say previous diplomatic efforts, including the 2015 Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, demonstrated that Tehran exploits negotiated pauses to advance its nuclear capabilities while extracting sanctions relief.
Conservative commentators have praised Treasury Secretary Bessent's anticipated announcement of new economic measures as a necessary tool to force Tehran back to the negotiating table under more favorable terms. They argue that neighbors cooperating with U.S. sanctions efforts are acting in their own security interests against Iranian regional ambitions.
What the Left Is Saying
Progressive critics of the administration's Iran policy argue that escalating economic pressure risks pushing Tehran toward more aggressive actions without achieving meaningful concessions on nuclear development or regional behavior. Human rights organizations including Amnesty International have condemned Iran's recent executions connected to January's nationwide protests, calling for international accountability rather than expanded sanctions that they say disproportionately harm ordinary citizens.
Democratic lawmakers supportive of diplomatic engagement have urged the administration to extend negotiation timelines and explore back-channel talks with Iranian officials beyond those involved in the memorandum process. They point to historical examples where extended dialogue produced more durable agreements than pressure-only approaches.
What the Numbers Show
The 60-day negotiation period established by the mid-June memorandum has elapsed without announced agreement on key issues, including Strait of Hormuz access for commercial shipping. A multinational naval coalition overseen by the U.S. Navy reported no confirmed attacks in the waterway over the preceding 48 hours, though traffic remained at reduced levels.
Pakistani Field Marshal Asim Munir was scheduled to lead a delegation to Tehran on Monday as part of Islamabad's efforts to de-escalate tensions between Washington and Iran, according to Iranian state television. Two regional officials speaking on condition of anonymity said the visit aimed to urge both sides toward renewed dialogue.
Iran executed Majid Adineh on Sunday in connection with arrests from January protests, the judiciary's Mizan news agency reported. The individual was convicted under espionage statutes by a Revolutionary Court in Karaj for alleged cooperation with countries Iran considers hostile, including Israel and the United States.
The Bottom Line
The divergent Iranian voices—Pezeshkian advocating for continued engagement through the memorandum framework while Rezaei threatening retaliation against regional partners—reflect internal debates over how to respond to intensifying U.S. economic pressure. Treasury Secretary Bessent's expected announcement Monday of new measures follows Washington vows to pursue what it calls unprecedented levels of economic isolation.
What happens next will depend on whether the economic pressure produces diplomatic openings or hardens positions in Tehran and among its neighbors considering whether to participate in expanded sanctions regimes.