Enrique Tarrio, the former leader of the Proud Boys who was convicted of seditious conspiracy for his role in the January 6, 2021, Capitol attack, told PBS News he believes he is owed "somewhere in the mid-tens of millions" of dollars from a newly announced $1.776 billion Department of Justice fund.
The DOJ announced the "anti-weaponization" fund this week as part of an effort to compensate individuals who claim they were victims of government overreach in criminal prosecutions. Tarrio, who received a 22-year sentence before President Donald Trump commuted it last year, said he feels like he is finally getting the justice he deserves.
Tarrio pointed to time spent in solitary confinement during his pretrial detention and what he described as FBI interference with his defense preparation. He also filed a lawsuit in 2025 against the DOJ alleging insufficient probable cause for his arrest, seeking millions in punitive damages.
What the Left Is Saying
Senate Democrats and progressive critics have condemned the fund, arguing it rewards individuals convicted of attacking the seat of democratic government. Senator Dick Durbin of Illinois called the program "a disgraceful misuse of taxpayer money that sends the wrong message about accountability."
The concerns intensified after two Capitol Police officers filed a lawsuit Wednesday seeking to block rioters from receiving compensation. The officers argued that allowing January 6 defendants to benefit from the fund would be an insult to the law enforcement officers who defended the Capitol during the attack.
House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries said the fund represents "a shocking reversal of justice that prioritizes insurrectionists over the police officers they assaulted." Democratic lawmakers have called for congressional oversight hearings into how the DOJ will determine eligibility and distribute funds.
Civil liberties advocates on the left have also raised concerns, with some arguing the fund sets a dangerous precedent by allowing political considerations to drive compensation decisions rather than neutral legal standards.
What the Right Is Saying
Senate Republicans who requested the DOJ memo outlining the fund's structure expressed support for the initiative. Senator Mike Lee of Utah said the fund addresses "legitimate grievances about weaponized government agencies that targeted conservatives."
The one-page DOJ summary states that anyone who was a victim of "lawfare and weaponization" can apply, with claims awarded on a case-by-case basis. The memo notes that an applicant's "personal conduct and character" will be considered.
Trump wrote on Truth Social that the fund is intended to help those "badly abused by an evil, corrupt, and weaponized Biden Administration." Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche has overseen the program's implementation.
Conservative commentators have defended the fund as correcting what they characterize as prosecutorial overreach during the Biden administration. The Heritage Foundation called it "a necessary step toward restoring faith in equal treatment under the law."
Tarrio said he believes people like Hunter Biden, anti-abortion activists, and surveillance targets should also be eligible for compensation.
What the Numbers Show
The DOJ fund totals $1.776 billion, according to department announcements.
Approximately 1,500 January 6 defendants received pardons from Trump covering their convictions or charges related to the Capitol attack.
Tarrio received a 22-year prison sentence in 2023 after being convicted of seditious conspiracy and other charges. His sentence was commuted by Trump last year.
The DOJ memo indicates claims will be evaluated on an individual, case-by-case basis with no set payment formula.
Senate Republicans stalled unrelated legislation over concerns about the fund's potential to compensate rioters, according to congressional aides familiar with the negotiations.
The Bottom Line
The $1.776 billion fund represents a significant expansion of government compensation for individuals claiming prosecutorial overreach, and its implementation will test how the DOJ balances broad eligibility standards with concerns from law enforcement groups.
Tarrio told PBS News he expects the application process to be straightforward, though he acknowledged he has received no official guidance on procedures. "I just go by Twitter accounts and stuff like that," he said. "I don't think this should be complicated."
The legal challenges from Capitol Police officers could affect how quickly funds are distributed. Courts will likely need to rule on whether current or former rioters can receive compensation without violating principles of equitable relief.
Tarrio suggested some fund recipients might pursue political office, telling PBS News that "J6ers are very dedicated" and that he had heard "two or three times" they plan to run for local positions like city council.