The Pentagon released a second batch of Unidentified Anomalous Phenomena footage on Friday, including video of a U.S. fighter jet shooting down an object over Lake Huron in February 2023, as part of President Trump's ongoing declassification effort.
Friday's release marked the second tranche of records that Trump ordered declassified to increase transparency around U.S. government information regarding UAP. The initial shootdown occurred shortly after a Chinese spy balloon traversed the continental United States under former President Joe Biden's administration — an incident that drew criticism of how the prior administration handled aerial surveillance threats.
Secretary of War Pete Hegseth is overseeing the process of finding, reviewing, identifying, and publicly releasing unresolved UAP-related records in federal possession. The effort requires cross-agency coordination and reviewing tens of millions of records, many existing only on paper from decades ago. Due to the volume under review, the White House developed a phased release plan.
What the Right Is Saying
Conservative lawmakers have been among the most vocal supporters of UFO disclosure, often framing it as exposing decades of government secrecy. Senator Mike Lee of Utah called Friday's release 'a win for the American people over the bureaucratic class that hid this information for generations.' House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jim Jordan praised the administration's transparency push on his official account.
Defense hawks have focused on the operational details of the Lake Huron intercept. Representative Mike Rogers of Alabama, chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, said the footage demonstrates 'American air superiority against unknown threats.' The intercept occurred under circumstances where then-NORAD Commander Gen. Glen VanHerck told reporters officials did not know how the object stayed aloft.
Some conservative commentators have used the releases to argue for increased defense spending and scrutiny of Chinese aerial capabilities following the 2023 spy balloon incident that occurred under Biden's watch. 'The American people are seeing what our military confronts,' wrote one conservative columnist with The Federalist, 'while the previous administration let a surveillance balloon cross our entire country.'
What the Left Is Saying
Progressive lawmakers and transparency advocates have largely welcomed the continued disclosure, framing it as a victory for government accountability. Representative Jamie Raskin of Maryland called the releases 'a long-overdue step toward democratic oversight' in a statement to reporters. The Congressional Progressive Caucus issued a brief statement saying Americans deserve 'full access to information their tax dollars helped produce.'
Some Democratic voices have cautioned, however, that declassification must be done responsibly. Senator Mark Warner of Virginia, chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, noted that certain materials may require redaction to protect sources and methods. 'Transparency and national security are not mutually exclusive,' Warner said in a floor speech last month.
Former intelligence officials who served under Biden have also weighed in cautiously. John Kirby, a former National Security Council spokesperson, told CNN that the prior administration 'took UAP seriously' and worked to balance disclosure with operational security concerns.
What the Numbers Show
The February 2023 Lake Huron intercept was part of a series of shootdowns that month following the Chinese spy balloon incident. According to NORAD data, U.S. military aircraft shot down objects over Alaska, Canada's Yukon territory, and Lake Huron within a two-week span.
Gen. Glen VanHerck's statements at the time indicated operational uncertainty: 'We're calling them objects, not balloons, for a reason,' he said, suggesting officials could not determine the technology or origin of what had been downed.
The Department of War stated in its release announcement that it remains unable to make a 'definitive determination on the nature of the observed phenomena' due to insufficient data. The department has invited private-sector analysis and expertise to assist with identification efforts.
The White House has not specified how many total records exist in the UAP archive, but officials have described reviewing tens of millions of documents across multiple agencies dating back decades.
The Bottom Line
The continued release of UAP footage reflects a deliberate transparency push by the Trump administration that has drawn bipartisan support while raising questions about government secrecy practices spanning administrations of both parties.
The Lake Huron shootdown video remains significant because it captured an active military intercept against an unidentified object — one that Gen. VanHerck publicly acknowledged officials could not explain at the time. The inability of defense analysts to definitively identify such objects, despite advanced radar and visual tracking capabilities, underscores ongoing gaps in understanding these phenomena.
The Department of War's invitation for private-sector analysis signals a potential shift toward crowdsourcing identification efforts. What role, if any, private companies and independent researchers may play in resolving UAP mysteries could become a key question as releases continue.
Watch for the third tranche of declassified materials expected in coming weeks. The pace of disclosure and whether additional footage prompts renewed congressional hearings on UAP policy will likely define next steps.