The Justice Department finalized a rule Monday that will pave the way for people who've been barred from owning firearms because of criminal convictions to apply to have their gun rights reinstated. The process, launched by newly confirmed Attorney General Todd Blanche, establishes an online portal allowing individuals to petition the federal government for restoration of Second Amendment rights.
The move represents a victory for Second Amendment advocates who have long pushed for nonviolent people with felony convictions to be given a pathway to regain their legal right to own firearms. Federal law has allowed people stripped of gun rights due to felony convictions to petition the government since 1992, but Congress effectively barred the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives from processing those applications.
What the Left Is Saying
Gun control advocates expressed concern about the new process, warning it could pose risks to public safety. Kris Brown, president of Brady, a group that advocates for stronger gun laws, said her organization is still reviewing the administration's final rule but emphasized the need for robust safeguards.
"Yet the Trump administration has consistently shown us they have no such discretion, including by restoring gun rights to convicted domestic abusers and violent January 6 insurrectionists, and by tirelessly rolling back broad policies proven to prevent crime and gun violence," Brown said in a statement. She added that her group stresses the need for a system that "minimizes the risk to public safety."
What the Right Is Saying
Second Amendment supporters praised the rule as a long-overdue restoration of constitutional rights. Attorney General Blanche framed the change as protecting both public safety and the rights of deserving Americans.
"The Second Amendment is not a second-class right, and the federal government should not permanently deprive Americans of a constitutional right without regard to whether they pose a danger to public safety," Blanche said in a statement announcing the rule. He described the new process as one that will protect "public safety while giving deserving Americans a real path to restoration."
What the Numbers Show
According to Justice Department data, an estimated 4 million Americans are currently prohibited from owning firearms due to felony convictions. The department says people convicted of violent crimes, registered sex offenders, undocumented immigrants, and others deemed dangerous will be denied restoration "absent extraordinary circumstances." Restoration decisions will be made on a case-by-case basis, weighing an individual's record and reputation.
The Bottom Line
The rule marks the latest move by President Donald Trump's administration to ease firearms restrictions. The Justice Department previously moved this year to roll back and modify other gun regulations and decided not to challenge a court ruling striking down regulations on firearm suppressors and certain guns. Gun control advocates are expected to closely monitor implementation of the new restoration process, particularly which categories of applicants receive approvals.