Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard announced Friday that she will resign her position on June 30, citing her husband's diagnosis with an extremely rare form of bone cancer. Before departing, she plans to release findings from investigations into Havana Syndrome, the COVID-19 pandemic, the weaponization of the federal government, and the 2020 presidential election, according to intelligence officials who spoke with the Daily Wire.
Gabbard has served in the role for 15 months after being appointed by President Donald Trump. She said she will remain in her position through the end of June to ensure a smooth transition at the Office of Director of National Intelligence. Principal Deputy Director Aaron Lukas will serve as Acting DNI following her departure, Trump announced.
The planned releases come as part of Gabbard's broader transparency initiatives during her tenure, which included declassifying more than 500,000 pages of previously withheld government records as of May 2026, according to a second intelligence official cited by the Daily Wire. The investigations are expected to be published in weekly installments over the next month.
What the Left Is Saying
Progressive critics have raised questions about the timing and motivations behind Gabbard's planned releases, suggesting they could serve political purposes ahead of the 2026 midterm elections. Some Democrats have argued that releasing findings related to the 2020 election and federal government actions during Obama's administration could be designed to benefit Republicans.
Civil liberties advocates from progressive organizations have expressed concern about the potential release of documents related to domestic terrorism investigations conducted under the Biden administration, arguing such releases could compromise ongoing law enforcement work or expose sensitive intelligence methods. The American Civil Liberties Union has previously called for balanced approaches to declassification that protect both transparency and national security interests.
Additionally, some former intelligence officials who served under previous administrations have questioned whether certain materials being released meet standards for public disclosure without compromising sources and methods. The Obama administration's former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper issued a statement through his office noting that "declassification must be done thoughtfully, not as a parting political gesture."
What the Right Is Saying
Supporters of Gabbard's transparency initiatives have praised what they characterize as an unprecedented level of openness from the intelligence community. Republican lawmakers pointed to her declassifications of records related to the assassinations of President John F. Kennedy, Sen. Robert F. Kennedy, and Martin Luther King Jr., files that had remained sealed for decades.
Senator Josh Hawley (R-MO) said in a statement, "For too long, intelligence agencies have hidden behind classification barriers to avoid accountability. Director Gabbard's commitment to transparency represents exactly the reform Americans voted for when they elected President Trump."
The administration has emphasized Gabbard's institutional reforms, including her ODNI 2.0 restructuring initiative that reduced agency bloat by more than 40%. Officials argue this has saved taxpayers an estimated $700 million per year while improving intelligence community effectiveness. White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt called the transparency efforts "a historic restoration of public trust in our intelligence agencies."
What the Numbers Show
Gabbard declassified more than 500,000 pages of government records during her 15-month tenure as Director of National Intelligence, according to officials cited by the Daily Wire. The ODNI workforce reduction of more than 40% represents one of the most significant restructurings in the intelligence community's modern history.
Her office announced earlier this year that she had completed what it described as the largest intelligence community-wide technology and cybersecurity modernization effort in American history. The initiative included investments in IT infrastructure aimed at improving data security and operational efficiency.
Gabbard revoked security clearances of several former intelligence officials who, according to her office, "abused public trust." She also eliminated Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion programs across the intelligence community, a move that drew criticism from some civil service employees but praise from administration supporters in Congress.
The timing of her resignation follows heightened tensions between Trump and Senate Republicans over judicial confirmations, with Trump endorsing primary challenges against Sens. John Cornyn (R-TX) and Bill Cassidy (R-LA). Observers note this political environment could complicate efforts to quickly confirm a permanent successor.
The Bottom Line
Gabbard's departure marks the end of a 15-month tenure characterized by aggressive declassification efforts and institutional restructuring. Her final weeks in office will see weekly releases of investigation findings that are likely to attract significant public and media attention, particularly those related to the 2020 election and federal government activities under previous administrations.
The administration faces potential challenges in securing Senate confirmation for a permanent replacement, given ongoing tensions between Trump and key Republican senators. Acting Director Aaron Lukas is expected to oversee day-to-day operations while that process unfolds.
What remains unclear is whether the investigation findings will include recommendations for further action or simply present historical information. Intelligence officials have not specified which specific documents will be released first or whether any materials might remain classified despite the broader transparency push. Congressional oversight committees in both parties are expected to request briefings on the contents of major releases as they become public.